NEW: RISD’s Latest Exhibit Showcases Local Artist-Entrepreneurs
Monday, September 09, 2013
During the week of September 10, “Entrepreneur Artist, Artist Entrepreneur” will exhibit each day from 12pm-1pm at RISD Museum's Contemporary Art Gallery and present interactive conversations with startup founders whose work is a powerful testament to the maker/artist culture that defines Rhode Island’s DNA.
Curated by RallyRI’s Allan Tear and Melissa Withers, “Entrepreneur Artist, Artist Entrepreneur” seeks to introduce a broad audience to a new generation of companies that marry the best of business with the best of design. Creating companies at this intersection is a huge opportunity for Rhode Island, given our world-class design talent and generations of “maker” expertise.
September 10, 12 pm: Aaron Horowitz on Medicine as Play
Aaron is the co-founder and CEO of Sproutel, a startup company that develops interactive toys for children with chronic disease. Aaron’s first product, Jerry the Bear, is an interactive teddy bear that helps children with diabetes understand and manage their condition through play. Aaron will talk about the special challenges and opportunities in designing playful experiences that transcend traditional medicine.
September 11, 12 pm: Scott Harris on Everyday Digerati
Scott’s company, ShutterCal, is part of a new generation of tools that help everyday people use the power of photography to document their lives in truly meaningful ways. Scott and his company are advancing digital interaction while preserving the nostalgia and personal connections generations have always had with journals and photographs.
September 12, 12 pm: Don Nguyen on Making Metal Move
Fabrication has changed in ways that allow us to transform materials into shapes never before possible. Don, a master fabricator, uses these tools to create objects that range from the practical to the magical.
September 13, 12 pm: Wayne Losey on Printing in Three Dimensions
3D printing—one of the coolest things happening in manufacturing—is changing how we create objects in ways we can only begin to imagine. Join Wayne for a conversation on what happens when 3D printing, personalization & pop culture collide.
September 14, 12 pm: Otto D'Ambrosio on From Shape to Sound
Otto D’Ambrosio uses a mix of magic and the mastery of materials to coax wood blocks into world renowned guitars. Recently, this process was documented in a video short that captures the sights—and the sounds—of this amazing transformation. Come see, hear and touch the wood that Otto turns from shape to sound.
September 15, 12 pm: Martin Keen on The Body at Work
Millions of people walk all over Martin Keen every day—and he's totally cool with it. As the founder of KEEN footwear, Martin built a successful business out of taking good care of people's feet. Fast forward ten years and Martin, having sold KEEN to his partner, is back on the scene with Focal Upright Furniture, rekindling his inventor roots and his passion for making life better with a line of ergonomic furniture that maps how we work with how our bodies evolved.
For information about "Entrepreneur Artist, Artist Entrepreneur" visit: http://rallyri.co/
- Sneak Preview: RISD Museum’s ‘Making It In America’ Exhibit
- NEW: RISD Museum Announces Fall/Winter Schedule
- NEW: RISD Museum Caps Campaign with $250K From Champlin Foundations
- NEW: RISD Museum Names New Curator of Decorative Arts + Design
- NEW: RISD Museum Names John W. Smith of Smithsonian as New Director
- RISD to Show First Large Exhibit of Locally Made Work in 20 Years
- Art Review: RISD Museum’s New Shows
- Changing Poses: The Artist’s Model at RISD Museum
- Highlights of RISD Museum’s “Made in the UK” Exhibit
- Lynda Benglis Opens at RISD Museum
- Major UK Art Collection Coming to RISD Museum
- RISD Museum Announces Call for Video Submissions
- RISD Museum Director John Smith: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- RISD Museum Opens ‘America In View’ Landscape Photography Exhibit
- RISD Museum Partners With NYC Firm To Launch New Visuals + Website
- RISD Museum Reveals Renovated Ancient and Medieval Galleries
- RISD Museum’s Artist/Rebel/Dandy Exhibit Coming in April
- RISD Museum’s Two Bright, Pop Shows
- Review: Spencer Finch’s Painting Air at RISD Museum